Be the Church
5 ways to serve our neighbors and show the love of Jesus.
Love your neighbor as yourself.
Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light – Romans 13:10-12
Today, our neighbors need us to show genuine love to them when distance and isolation are being practiced for safety. Fear and loneliness is felt by so many. It is our privilege to shine the love and hope of Jesus in times of despair. As the scriptures say, let us put on our armor of light to show love to our neighbor. Here are some ideas on how to show encouragement to others:
- Call or FaceTime others: As we practice social distancing, seeing others and hearing their voices can go a long way. Reach out to specifically to those living alone or are vulnerable to the virus and need extra encouragement.
- If you are well, consider volunteering at a local food depository or offer to deliver groceries for those who are high risk. Only do this if you are not sick and showing no symptoms.
- Send cards or small care packages to those in need like health care workers, first responders, store clerks, and assisted living residents. Also, reach out to those celebrating their birthdays or anniversaries during the pandemic. The CDC has stated there is a very low risk of COVID-19 spreading through products or packages.
- Consider actively supporting local/small businesses and artists. The cancellations of public gatherings are putting a large burden on those who rely on community for their livelihood. Many have posted creative ways to help support their work and every sale counts.
- Please pray specifically for a vaccine that works. Pray for the health and endurance for your neighbors and the world.
God is moving! We are confident that the Lord is in motion to love and hold his people like never before. No one is forsaken or forgotten.
Father, we trust that you have equipped us with the word to be vessels for your work in a time where everyone so desperately needs to see you. We pray for a revival in your people to be the strong hands and feet of Christ. May you protect those most vulnerable and give us all a renewed sense of who you are in our daily lives. We praise you for your goodness and will rejoice when a new day is here. Amen.