You’re likely familiar with the time in church we take to praise God and sing worship songs together. But did you know that praise is an important part of discipleship? As God works and moves in our lives, it’s hard to hold back the joy we have!
Praise and worship is a priority in following Jesus. As it says in Matthew 5:16
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Sometimes, you may find it easy to praise God. But these moments aren’t confined to a church service or building. You could be in the car, at home or simply around other believers. It’s a good thing to praise him wherever you are.
Other times, finding the right words to praise God can be tough, especially when things seem difficult. However, we are called to praise him even when life gets hard and we don’t feel like praising. We praise him when we are confused or discerning. We are to never stop praising God, because he loves us so much and sent his son to save us. That is certainly worth singing praises about!
“Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.” - Hebrews 13:15
While we often praise God through singing, there are many ways you can give praise and thanks to God for all he has done. Here are a few:
- Kneeling: “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.” - Psalm 95:6
- Playing instruments: “Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre.” - Psalm 150:3
- Dance: “Let them praise His name with the dance; let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp.” - Psalm 149:3
- Serving: “Serve the LORD with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!” - Psalm 100:2
- Your Job: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people.”- Colossians 3:23
Take some time this week and consider the ways you praise God, not just on Sundays, but also during the week.
What ways do you worship God? Share your story with us today!