It is through small groups that people grow to understand and apply God’s Word. As they experience and form meaningful relationships, they are strengthened and encouraged in their faith. Proverbs 21:17 tells us, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” As small group leaders, we equip and empower the people in our group to do the work that God has called them to do, fulfilling their ministry in the church and their mission in the world.
“Prepare God’s people for works of service so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:12-13)
MOBILIZING YOUR GROUP FOR MISSION
A group that is moving is a group that is growing. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and become stagnate or comfortable with your faith. A small group leader helps people get unstuck by challenging and encouraging them to continue going forward and to take their next step of faith.
Equipping the Saints (Ephesians 4:11-16)
11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
1. ENVISIONING: “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save those who are lost.” (Luke 19:10)
2. ENCOURAGING: Paul wrote, “May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 15:5-6)
3. EQUIPPING: Paul wrote, “Equipping the saints for the work of service for the building up of the body of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:11,12)
4. EMPOWERING: Paul prayed, “Strengthen with all power according to His glorious might for the obtaining of all steadfastness and patience with joy.” (Colossians 1:11)
5. ENTRUSTING: Paul wrote, “And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others also.” (2 Timothy 2:2)
Ask these questions to help people move forward in their faith: